Our mortuary was founded
in 1902 by John Gantt, Sr., and known as the Gantt
Funeral Home. After Mr. Gantt retired, his sons John, Jr. and
Joe ran the funeral home. Gantt Memorial Park was developed
in 1954 as a perpetual care cemetery under South Carolina Law.
Now known as Liberty Memorial Gardens, it offers in ground
and above ground burial.
Holtzclaw purchased the funeral home January 1, 1984. Shortly
thereafter it was renamed Liberty Mortuary. Our family philosophy
is that we want our families to call us for the service we
provide, regardless of whose name is on the sign. Each of
our employees, whether it be a Holtzclaw or not, should be
able to provide the same level of service to our families.
In 1993 we
moved to our current location directly behind where the old
funeral home stood. Our new facility originally was a doctor's
home which we gutted and then added to on either side. Unlike
some funeral homes in older homes, ours now looks like a completely
new building. We now have a full size chapel with seating for
approximately 250 people. We also have three visitation
rooms, a conference room, and a state of the art casket selection
room, with bronze and granite memorial displays.
17, 2001 our president James T. Holtzclaw died, and his son
Gene Holtzclaw became the president and owner. Currently Gene
and his son Brad operate the funeral home.
In late 2001
we began a massive remodeling of our current location. Now the
entire funeral home has new handcrafted furniture, with special
attention given to seating height for the elderly. Also the selection
room was remodeled and we added a full size cremation display
for the families we serve.